Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Master Motivator

How to Inspire Workers in Tough Times

Usually the first tactic managers go to when trying to motivate their employees is bonuses, promotions, or extra responsibilities but these are not necessarily the best ways to motivate employees right now. "Master motivators" find that it is much more important to connect with employees on an emotional level along with emotionally connecting them to their work. If an employee is connected and understanding of the full purpose of their work, they will be much more inspired to do better.

Managers and leaders need to spend more time connecting with their employees by means of the informal elements of their organization. They should get a better understanding of what is important to employees outside of work, what the employees truly value, and what makes them tick. If a manager can get a good grasp on the emotional needs of employees, there is a better chance that they will be able to connect and in turn motivate.

 Although it is still important for managers to focus on the formal elements of the organization during tough times for the sake of their cost structure and stakeholders, that is just not enough anymore. When managers take the time to combine insight into their employees lives combined with the organization itself, they will ultimately get the best results and improve overall company morale.

By: Lesley Pfeifer

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this. When I interned at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois last summer, both my supervisor and manager spent free time they had asking me questions about certain things I love to do in my life, how I met my girlfriend, how's school, etc. This started a mutual bond between us and made me want to work harder for them knowing that we are connected on an emotional level and they are willing to help me with any questions I may have.

    If I'm ever in a supervisor or managerial position, I definitely want to use those tactics to my employees because I know it works, and it's very important to have the people working for you to not only care about their job, but want to do the tasks given to them.

    Jon Locke
    Team 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really good article and I also liked your response. I think this relates to what we have been talking about in class as far as motivating people and what it tales to be a leader.In a sense managers are leaders and they provide their employees with guidance. Something we discussed was how leader obtained followers and it was by being inspirational and charismatic. The reasoning behind why charismatic leaders and inspirational leaders are able to gain many followers is becuase they have an emotional connection. So I too think its important to be connected emotionally to an extent if you want to motivate individuals and get a great response from them!
    Quasheena Ellis
    Team 2

    ReplyDelete