Sunday, April 17, 2011

If You Feed Them, They Will Work

I am sure we have heard of all the incentives to get employees motivated. Money, promotions, time off, all the other basic ones that supposedly get people to work harder. Well this article had something a little bit different, it claimed that a stocked kitchen was the way to go. According to the article, 73 percent of employees said a well-stocked kitchen would make them happier at work and 57 percent indicated that kitchen amenities could lead to a more productive work force. 73 percent is a big number. I guess I could understand that good food would make a person happier. With that said, I never considered it to be a motivator. I mean don’t get me wrong I love food, but who doesn’t. All I am saying is that I would have never thought to myself, as a manager, “I bet if we stock the kitchen our employees will work harder.” I guess you never know what will make people work harder. At the jobs I have worked there was always food nearby so it was not an issue. In the article it also says that having a nice break room helps keep motivation high. That makes sense because everyone needs time for breaks and it would be nice to have a comfortable place to relax for a while when you need a break. The stocked kitchen is definitely a new motivation tactic that I did not think of before.
Posted By: Jacob Cyscon

2 comments:

  1. I also never thought of this. I have heard of people getting gift cards for restaurants--but never about the food that is actually supplied at the place. I definitely agree with the break room part. Having a comfortable break room would motivate me knowing if I got my stuff done, I could go relax in a nice place.

    Posted by Jenny Liechti, Team 6

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could see where they are coming from. I worked in a restaurant and seeing everyone eating around me made me hungry. When managers allowed us to have a biscuit or eat a meal that was set to the side as a "mess up", I was definitely happier and more willing to work. I don't think companies should stock a kitchen with a full Thanksgiving dinner, but snack foods would be a nice incentive for managers to show their employees that they care.

    Team 3
    Danielle Trasatti

    ReplyDelete