Monday, February 7, 2011

Little Things That Motivate Employees

Posted by:  David Harbeck

Motivating Employees in Tough Times

Even though it may be hard for some businesses to give incentives to their employees such as raises, bonuses, paid vacations, free trips, free gifts and so on, businesses can motivate individuals by doing the "little things."  A simple "thank you" from the boss to an individual in front of the company gives that individual pride, a few minutes in the spotlight, and shows that the boss recognizes quality work.  I feel that the "little things" make a bigger difference when it comes to motivating employees and these can include a simple award to put in their office, time off work when they need it (not paid), free food in the employee break room, and possibly investing in their education or health by paying for it if the company can afford it.  By doing some of these free and cheap motivation tactics, employees are going to feel more motivated to work harder and take pride in the company they work for.  This is important because the cost of hiring and training new employees is expensive and there is a temporary loss of productivity.  As a former supervisor myself, I would always thank my coworkers for a job well done every night and this would bring a great working environment for days to come.  Also, I feel that it is not hard to motivate employees because its simple, doesn't take up a lot of time or money, and just betters the working environment.  After all, I probably would not work for a company where I was never recognized for the work I do.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with this post. Although bonuses, paid vacations, and free gifts are really nice--in times like these, it is not possible to just give things away. I have come to appreciate the "little things" done at work. It is really motivating to me when my supervisors give me words of encouragement or let me have a few extra minutes on break (even when it's unpaid). The best managers I have had are the ones that have a positive outlook on life. These kinds of people use encouraging words naturally. Little instances like this make the workplace much more pleasant and I do not find myself dreading the day to come when I have to work.

    Posted by: Jenny Liechti

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a night manager at a grocery store. I also always told my employees that I appreciated their work and thanked them when they walked out the door if they did a good job. Sometimes you must tell your employees how to do something or get on them a little bit if they are slacking off. This may be hard but it has to be done sometimes. Giving them an incentive such as getting off work a little early if everything is done up to standards may motivate them. If you as the manager/supervisor chip in when you can this makes your employees respect your authority and work hard for you. This is because they see you working just as hard as them and not just seating up in an office relaxing. I feel like these tactics helped me be an effective manager in motivating my employees.

    Posted by: Mitchell Terry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the little things managers do goes a long way. The best thing my managers do at work is to work with us and always make sure we get help when we need it. Rather than walking around and supervising, they do everything that is needed to accomplish our goals for the shift. It makes the environment so much more positive.

    Rather than expecting money or a prize for doing well, a simple thank you goes a long way.

    -Kelsey Van Gieson (Team 4)

    ReplyDelete