Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Employee Motivation You Can't Buy

Employee Motivation You Can't Buy

In the article I read, the author takes looking at how to motivate employees in the working environment from an American general, Dwight Eisenhower.  He was a great leader and had to motivate his soldiers without increase in salary and he did this with two key qualities, concern and honesty.  Concern for employees is a key quality for every manager that is in charge of any size team of employees.  I feel that this is true because I would want my managers to have concern for my safety in the working environment, making sure everyone is on task by being productive, and also that everyone is treated fairly.  After all, it does feel good knowing your manager or boss does actually care about your well being.  When I was a supervisor and the manager on duty, I took into consideration how all the employees were feeling.  If I noticed one of them to be very sick, I would go up to them, speak to them about their health, and send them home because I rather have them come back the rest of the week in full health to perform at their absolute best.  As for honesty, it’s a pretty straight forward concept to understand.  Never lie to your employees about benefits, raises, promotions, or other opportunities that could excite them and then not follow through with them.  If someone does lie, this can demotivate an employee and have them perform at a lower level or even start looking for a new job.  Employees want their bosses to “have their back” as the article states.  This means even taking blame for the outcome of a team’s job if it has a negative effect.  Overall, I do feel that these two qualities can keep your employees happy without a pay raise or other incentives that cost money for a company.  After all when I felt these qualities from my previous managers, it really made me appreciate my job better and to work harder.

-David Harbeck

No comments:

Post a Comment